Voices from the Corner (LS-ES-626)
The context for the implementation
This Learning Scenario has been developed by Maribel Vila a member of the Europeana Spanish User Group in the subject Socio-Labour Insertion of the Higher Technician in Social Integration of Formal Vocational Education with students 19 to 55 years old.
Students have to analyse the real meaning of poverty in the past and nowadays. It is a good way to contextualise the situation of unemployed people and create projects to promote their social and labour integration. As future social care professionals, people who live on a low income are the users of social programmes to support their inclusion process. These LS activities are the key to encouraging students to investigate the causes of poverty in more depth in order to design new social projects to facilitate the active participation of all in our society.
Implementing the LS
This Learning Scenario will be a process based on different materials available in Europeana (photos, paintings, and illustrations) to reflect on the concept of poverty throughout history. This project also aims to get students actively involved in this social situation as they are part of our community. The final idea is to find out what it means to be poor, the image and social vision of a poor person, what is stated in SDG 1 (End poverty in all its forms everywhere) and in the celebration of the 17th of October, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (17 October), and how young people can fight poverty.
It is important to be sure about the structure and organisation of the activities and to involve learners throughout the whole process of LS implementation. Students surprise and enrich the projects with their own ideas, especially if they are empowered to make innovative proposals to the proposed design.
On Europeana Resources:
- A proposal of different images already selected has been collected.
- Furthermore, you can also access all the images on this topic from the Europeana website
- Images on the theme can be used from free image banks.
- Poverty: Definition, causes and types
- Sustainable Development Goals_SDG1 No poverty
- SDG Report 2021-Goal 1
- International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (17 October)
- Could POVERTY inspire art?
- What about the Potato Eaters? (Vincent Van Gough)
Would you like to know more about this learning scenario? You can download it below:
Did you find this learning scenario interesting? You might also like:
- An inclusive world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (Goal 16) (LS-IT-563) – Teaching With Europeana (eun.org)
- Where do they work?/ Wo arbeiten sie? (LS-PL-572) – Teaching With Europeana (eun.org)
CC BY 4.0: the featured image used to illustrate this article has been found on Europeana and has been provided by the Wellcome Collection.
Leave a Reply